Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Gold Gucci Watch Bet

I was going to save this for a little later but decided to post it now to make it more interesting. About a week ago my wife and I bid on a property. I know..I know. What are you thinking, you ask. Prices are only going to drop. I agree. The price we offered reflects somewhat on that and also takes into condition some of the upgrading work it’s going to need.
My wife quickly pointed out that “we” can do this and this, etc. but as I already know and some of you married men do too that “we” means you and I wasn’t sure “we” wanted to take on this unless we get it for the right asking price. We offered 40k under their asking price. The dingbat sellers countered only 5k under their asking price. While their asking price is not that delusional for this almost 2,000 sq. ft. house they are probably under the influence that since they just recently listed there will be a floodgate of buyers wanting their “special” property.
I didn’t feel like getting in a pissing contest with counter bidding their offer so I dropped it. I wonder if they tossed and turned that night wondering if they should have taken that offer. In 30, or 60 days if they don’t have an offer they will be yelling at each other how they should have taken it.
Lately my wife has been nagging..err..hinting to me she wants a gold Gucci watch. Personally I prefer a watch that has big numbers, a light to read it in the dark and a stopwatch for when I go for a workout. That means a $25-30 Casio or Timex is perfect for me. But hey, she’s a woman and if I buy her the watch then maybe she doesn’t push for a new car anytime soon.
We were discussing our offer on the house and she thought they would sell it within 30 days. I replied no way. To prove my point I offered to buy her the gold Gucci watch if they get a buyer within 30 days from the time they first listed and if they don’t drop their price before then. What a deal for her! The buyer doesn’t even have to close. Just if we see the status changed to backup offers accepted then she wins. What do I win if I’m right? Nothing. That’s right, nothing but the pure intrinsic satisfaction of being able to say..see..I told you so. I won’t show you the link to the property until after it’s been up there for 30 days.
I will say this, however, it’s almost halfway through the 30 days with no offers yet. I have no plans to go to the mall anytime soon.

No comments: